Saturday, January 7, 2012

Capital manufacturing update: Full stop

The effect of this notion? I very much fear, 'twill make doubtful all things which were formerly clear

-Schrodinger's Cat, by Cecil Adams


In my december monthly financial report I mentioned that something had gone horribly wrong with my spreadsheet. Today, we discuss what.

Basically, component quantities.

When crucible hit, drone bays were removed from dreadnaughts. Then, for each 5 drone bays which were removed from a dread, 1 was added to the carrier of the same race. What I didn't notice was that the changes didn't stop there. Possibly I should read the patch notes more closely next time.

Since I build components for runs well ahead of where my blueprints are, it took a while for the effects to be seen. In Mid-late december I found myself running short of components when I shouldn't be running short of components. This prompted me to check my blueprints against my spreadsheet, and what I found was that different components had been added to dreads, in numbers which I suspect are equal to the number of drone bays removed. This is what was causing me to run short.

This prompted a full check of all my other blueprints, and I discovered that carrier components had also changed, but only a little -- they had two or three components removed total, of similar types to those added to dreads. I suspect that the number of components removed from carriers was equal to the number of drone bays added, though I can't prove it.

So I had to:

-Change the base component quantities for each carrier and dread on my spreadsheet, and make sure they gave the correct answer for the materiel level of my blueprints.
-At this point my spreadsheet was chill, so I just had to update ship prices and margins on the little thingy what tells me which ships are better but doesn't really affect what I build.
-With that done, I still had little idea how many components of each type I had too many or too few of, so I put a hold on new runs and and waited for ship builds to catch up so I could see where I stood in terms of components.
-I was short of some components, so I had to build the ones I was missing. Minerals for this ran around 520 million, which I've subtracted from my monthly profit spreadsheet as a correction. I also ended up with 5 extra components of different types.


By the way, if you think capitals are really expensive right now? They aren't. Other than chimera, archon, and revelation, margins are looking frankly depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment